3 Birthdays, 2 Deaths, and 1 Migraine

August has been an interesting month, a little more eventful than usual even, and its not even over yet!

The first Sunday of the month is the day my Grandmother died, August 5th.  I was awoken from a semi-deep sleep that morning by the ringing of the cell phone, and I knew who it was and why they were calling as soon as I heard that ring; it had that tone to it, you know, that kind of ring that when you hear it you know its not going to be good news.

Mom gave me the news, and I could tell she was very much relieved and also very upset.  It had taken Grandma 16 days to die, and everyone’s life was on hold while we waited.  She had retreated completely within herself but, per the nurses, her eyes would fly open when they turned her over and they said she could feel intense pain then, even though she was given a strong dose of morphine about 30 minutes before they turned her.  We just didn’t want Grandma to be in pain anymore, but even still, my mommy lost her mommy and she was sad.

Tuesday, August 7, was my Daddy’s 68th birthday.  For his birthday he bought himself the scooter that he will be traveling on to Georgia and Louisiana, and then back to California.  It kinda looks like a souped up Vespa, and not very comfortable for long distance traveling.  Dad is intent on this trip though, and at some point in time after he gets back, he and my Uncle Mike (who also bought himself a scooter of the same type) will take a trip down Route 66 all the way to Chicago and back.

I called my dad to wish him a happy birthday even though I was coming in that evening after work to attend Grandma’s funeral the next day.  He was pretty hard to get ahold of, but around 2:30 he grandly answered the phone to receive his birthday song.  I had to break the news to him that Rachel would not be coming to Bakersfield with me, as I thought the Catholic funeral service and then the graveside service would be too much for her, as well as the round trip in less than 24 hours.  She missed her first taste of Basque food, but that will be remedied when she is older.

The drive up was nice, and since I had left at 7pm I hit no traffic whatsoever and pulled up in front of my parent’s house before 9:30, and I didn’t even speed!  It was difficult being with out Rachel even though Tuesday nights she is usually with her Daddy at his place, but I had never been 150 miles away from her before.  I think up until that point, the most I’d been at any time was maybe 30 miles. Of course, SoCal had a 4.5 earthquake that night, and all I could think of is that my baby was scared and I wasn’t there to comfort her.  I made my mind up that night that I would never leave Rachel behind again!

The funeral was nice.  Mom had gotten a beautiful flower arrangement for the casket, Sterling Silver roses and some green flower that might have been dyed carnations.  I was told later that mom didn’t think the arrangement had roses in it.  I guess Grandma had told my Aunt CM at some time that she never wanted anyone to get her roses, that when her mother died everyone brought roses so she equated roses with death….or something like that.  I still think Grandma would have thought the arrangement was beautiful.

The church was far from packed, but I saw family that I hadn’t seen in so long.  My Great Uncles (Grandma’s brothers) were there with their wives: Uncle Bob and Judy, Uncle Alex and Mary-Ann.  Their children came, and I had never met them before, that I can remember anyway.  My Uncle Bernie was there (my dad’s brother) and my brother’s mother-in-law Sue, with her relative Etta.  There was just a lot of people there that were of no relation to Grandma, but came to show their love and support and I thought that was so very kind of them, especially since Catholic Funerals are so very boring.

Afterwards it was off to the gravesite, and then off to Woolgrower’s for dinner.  I had to leave early so I could get home in time to get my baby girl and go to bed and get up in the morning, but I very much enjoyed spending time with my cousins, my family, and old family friends.

On August 11th we celebrated Rachel’s birthday out here in Southern California, and I won’t say much about it because there is still a separate blog coming regarding her 1st birthday party (I swear!), but I will say this: I got a migraine at the party.  OF COURSE!  I had to leave the party early and I felt so bad because I just left the mess for everyone to deal with.  I went home and took my medicine and went to bed.  Rachel’s daddy brought her to me around 11pm, and I thought I was fine.  When I woke up Sunday I had a bit of a headache but nothing major, or so I thought.  I started vomiting around noon, and didn’t stop until almost 10pm.  I threw up at least once an hour.   Thank goodness for prepared toddler meals and SproutTV! I took care of Rachel the best I could, and she was ok.  Thankfully I have a really good baby who can entertain herself!  Monday I was just completely wiped out and stayed home from work.  I don’t know if Sunday was a new migraine evolution; I remember each time I threw up thinking, “At least I don’t have a migraine”.  My head hurt a little but not much, and I think the only reason my early head pain turned into an actual headache was because I was so dehydrated, even though I made myself drink a glass of water every time I threw up.

August 15th was a mixed emotions day, not that I knew it at the time.  August 15th was the day my baby girl turned one, and the day my cousin died.  I hadn’t seen him since my cousin brought him by after her was born…I had just started high school I think.  Yes, because Matthew was 24 when he died.  I don’t know all the details, but I know he was on his motorcycle and it ran into a truck.

For Rachel’s actual birthday her Godparent’s Matt and Tiff came by to take us out to dinner.  They got here later than they anticipated and we ended up just seeing their new house.  We didn’t get dinner, which was fine because I wasn’t even hungry, but we came back and had cake and sang to Rachel again.  It was good.

August 16th was my Aunt Rosalee’s birthday and I called to sing her birthday song.  She and Uncle Mike were in Pismo with my parents at the time, and Mom and Dad had actually just shown up to take her out to dinner.  I told her to order two meals so she’d have one the next day, too.

So, to sum up: Birthdays – 3 (Dad, Rachel, Aunt RosaLee), Deaths – 2 (Geneva Coleman and Matthew Ruettgers), and Migraines: 1.

I started this blog about 2 weeks ago so if it doesn’t flow so well, that’s why.  It’s almost the end of the month and there haven’t been anymore family deaths (or friend deaths), there have been more birthdays but no one that I’m really close to, and still just the one migraine.  There are still 4 days left in the month though…..we’ll see what happens.


About Chaos5150

I'm a medical coder by day, hermit by night, a 24 hr mommy, and a closet line-dancer whenever I get the chance. I love my daughter, I love my job, I love my friends, I love my cats, and I love my family. I love the dry heat, driving into the middle of the desert at night to see the moon and the stars, beading jewelry, torturing the unaware, and scaring people. People say I'm evil, but I'm not. I'm just a little mischievous.
This entry was posted in Family and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s